Wednesday 21 October 2015

[REVIEWS] Oh My Ghost!

Oh My Ghost (South Korea, 2015)


 
 
Title: 오 나의 귀신님/Oh My Ghost!
Also known as: Oh My Ghostess
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Supernatural
Episodes: 16
Broadcast network: tvN
Broadcast period: Jul 3, 2015 to Aug 22, 2015
 

The story is about the clumsy, insecure and shy girl Bong Soon who works at an all male-resturant as a chief-in-training but she is not particularly good at anything and feels like she's mostly just in the way. She also has a secret, she can see ghosts, which causes a lot of trouble for her in her everyday life, but it isn't until she, through a twist of events gets possessed by the ghost of a young girl named Shin Soon Ae that her life makes a 360 degree change. Shin Soon Ae is a ghost with a grudge because she died a virgin and therefore is unable to move on to the "afterlife" until she has fullfilled all of her desires. Thinking that the posession is a good temporary cover, Soon Ae posesses Bong Soon to escape the wrath of a shaman who is trying to lock her up so she doesn't create havoc in the human world, Soon Ae soon realises that escaping Bong Soon's body is easier said than done. As legends say, if a ghost posesses the body of a person who is "100% her match" the ghost will be stuck and to Soon Ae's greatest fear that is preciecely what happens. Trying to accept the new body and situation she's in, Soon Ae takes on the role of Bong Soon and starts working at the restaurant and also ends up falling for the head chief and owner, Sun Woo, also known as "chief". Claiming Sun Woo as the love of her life, Soon Ae decides to use Bong Soon's body to get close to him and get rid of her grudge.
 
Overall Score: 8.5/10
Character Development: 8/10
Plot Development: 9/10
Acting: 10/10
Soundtrack: 6/10


 
 
Cute, funny and chieeeeef ~ that's what this drama was to me. The perfect balance between a fluffy romance comedy and something dark and mature.
 
The characters and the plot:
 I really liked the fact that the two main girls were so different from each other, it only added to the comedy when they switched around and confused poor Sun Woo and the others. Bong Soon is the cute, shy and insecure girl who struggles with her hidden ability to see ghosts, and also struggles to get recognition for her cooking from the other chiefs at the resturant, while Soon Ae on the other hand is the confident and bold girl who loves to live her life as a ghost to the fullest, which also constantly gets her in trouble with the local shaman lady. The many awkward yet hilarious situations the two end up in, along with the chemisty between the leads, is what makes this drama completely and utterly loveable! I enjoyed it A LOT!
Soon Ae hit me right in the heart, she was so badass yet cute and funny in her own way, I just loved the moments when she possessed Bong Soon and teased and clung on to Sun Woo. I really felt sorry for the guy and at the same time laughed so hard I had trouble breathing. I think that for me personally, the best comedy moments are created when you put two people who are the almost the opposite of each other in one room and see how they interract and that for me were Soon Ae and Sun Woo. Soon Ae is so bold and badass, she doesn't think twice before she acts while Sun Woo is the rather stiff perfectionist who doesn't seem to care much about love, he lives for his resturant and wants everything to be in order. I loved the moments between them so much that I almost felt disappointed whenever Bong Soon got her body back because to me, Soon Ae was more interesting. The moments between Bong Soon and Sun Woo were cute but I felt like Sun Woo had better chemisty with Soon Ae, either that or I just enjoyed seeing her tease him xD The story focuses a lot on the growth and learning to believe in yourself, Soon Ae and Bong Soon were strangers at first but with time learned to trust and help each other. Park Bo Young did an AMAZING job portraying both characters. It was insanely well done. I think the only problem I had with the two characters, which isn't tecnically a flaw really, was that she did Soon Ae so extremely well that when she switched back to Bong Soon it almost (to me) felt a little boring to watch. I think that's the problem when you make a character so interesting, it's very hard to break your own record later on when you have to portray the actual main character, which is Bong Soon.
Jo Jung Suk was flawless as the chief Sun Woo, and I can definitely see why both main girls fell for him. The man is the definition of the perfect boyfriend xD He is a perfectionist, but he is very caring and while he does seem a bit cold at times he actually has a very warm and big heart. No words can describe how much I enjoyed his character.
There is actually a second main girl in the story too, but honestly I really liked how the romance between her and Sun Woo wasn't forced. At first I worried it may turn into unecessary drama, but I was very pleased with the fact that the characters were true to themselves, realistic and made mature decisions. Which is why I think this drama is more mature than a typical romance comedy. The characters feel very alive and act their age, they make realistic decisions and they portray love in a very passionate and mature way. While Soon Ae's craving to sleep with Sun Woo and constant attempt at seduction is a hilarious little detail to the plot, the chemisty between the leads is what makes this drama get it's epic juicy mature points in my opinion. It didn't feel forced or cheesy, the romance naturally grew and you could feel the passion every time the main leads kissed. It was amazingly well developed and portrayed!
 
However, this drama has, as I mentioned beforem also some dark elements to it. Without spoiling too much, I was very surprised to find out that was actually a villain in the story and that the grudge that Soon Ae has actually is deeper than you think it is, there is an underlying dark secret that you don't find out until much later in the story that kind of gives the cute fluffy romance comedy a depth, and I persoanlly really enjoyed that. I really liked how they made the plot flow in a direction that was hinted through-out the story.  It was overall very cleverly done, however the reason why this drama wasn't a full 10/10 to me was because there was something that I felt could've been done a tiiiny bit better, like the conclusion to the dark subplot of the story and the villain's ending for example...
SPOILER BELOW!!!
The plottwist in the last episodes felt a tiny bit too sudden. I understood where the plot was heading and I really enjoyed the somewhat dark substory focus, but the fact that the police officer decided to just commit suicide out of nowehere made me feel a bit disappointed. I kind of wished there would've been a big final action scene. Okay sure, we got to see the police officer have a little internal fight with the evil ghost, but I couldn't really take that scene super seriously because 1. the camera kept switching from the police officer to Soon Ae and the Shaman lady staring at him like WTF? o_o
and 2. They really didn't give me much time to kind of feel sorry for the guy. If he had said something like "I'm sorry...please forgive me" or started to cry in regret so we would see that he was actually an innocent human being who got possessed by an evil spirit, then maybe I would've shed a tear or too. But sadly, I didn't really feel much during that scene and that to me was a bit of a flaw in the story. I really loved the romance comedy part of the story, and it was wrapped up very well but the dark "melodrama"-ish part of the story...not so much.

Another thing that I felt a bit salty about, which isn't tecnically a flaw, is how the romance ended. I really wanted Soon Ae to end up with Sun Woo, even though that was logically thinking, impossible. I just think Soon Ae deserved him more, and I'm still in denial over the fact that Sun Woo admitted that he liked Bong Soon way before Soon Ae possessed her and made Sun Woo notice her more. I just wanted to shout at my screen like: "DON'T LIKE TO ME! You fell for her because of Soon Ae D'x Don't destroy my feels ;_; sob"...yeah..I'm a bit salty that the Bong Soon x Sun Woo ship sailed...don't get me wrong, they are cute, but I just shipped Soon Ae and Sun Woo more xD Another thing I kind of felt a bit sad about is how easy Soon Ae let him go, I mean, she accepted the fact that he and Bong Soon belong together and that she needs to move on to the afterlife. I guess the fact that I'm sad that she made that decision just proves that she is more mature than me.... During the farewell scene, I sat down and cried my eyes out ;_; That moment when Sun Woo hugged her and said her real name thou....gosh my feels. Them feels guy. THEM FEELS ;_; <3 But yeah, as you can see I still loved the drama, and I really liked the ending. Despite my unrealistic couple-expectations.
 

END OF SPOILER
 
The OST:
As for the songs in this drama, I don't know. I honestly don't remember anything xD I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. Did the OST blend so well into the scenes that I didn't notice that something was off or was it so unoticeably because it was so boring? In this case, I'll say it was the latter. I tend to focus a lot on OSTs, as they are there to help set the feeling of the scene, and later on whenever I think of the drama, that song from the OST will start playing in my mind. But in this case I feel like there was nothing. I even had to look up the OST on youtube to remember and therefore I can't say the OST left a good impact on me. Sorry.
 
Overall however, I think this drama was very nice and if you like a good comedy with awesome chemisty between the leads, and a story that is the perfect mix of cute and mature, do check out this drama! Not to mention, the kiss scenes are one of the best I've seen in a very long time too! *_* Bye bye lippressing! Kdramaland seem to have really thrown those out the window ~ now even romance comedies have good kiss scenes. Woop woop ~
 
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment